Each and every day between now and February 13 - 27th could decide the fate of shale gas fracking in New York. I write to implore you to implement a precise plan of action that should allow us all to survive the coming weeks. Pull out all the stops. This is definitely the moment of truth.
DEC's shale gas Revised Rulemaking proceeding has to be completed by 2/27/13. Otherwise, it must be restarted by law. In order to beat that looming deadline, both the infamous DOH "health impact analysis" Review and a Final SGEIS would have to be completed beforehand. FYI, February 13th is a regulatory notice deadline that could apply to the SGEIS.
Our Plan of Action
We Must Make Sure That The DOH Review Is Not Completed by 2/27/13. That goal is critical because the Cuomo administration has pledged that neither a Final SGEIS nor a Revised Rulemaking proposal will be adopted until the DOH Review is done. It is essentially all or nothing.
Assemblywoman Barbara Lifton (125 AD) just released a landmark letter which requests that the DOH Review as well as the SGEIS and the Revised Rulemaking proceedings be put on-hold pending full public participation for the DOH Review. If that request is fulfilled, the 2/27/13 deadline could not be met.
Lifton's bipartisan letter is signed by a total of 65 Legislators in both Houses. The letter received extensive Associated Press and Gannett coverage in The Wall Street Journal, Business Week, NPR and local press outlets from coast-to-coast, in the Capital District and throughout the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes.
Ms. Lifton's letter sends an extremely powerful and unmistakeable message to Governor Cuomo: http://www.toxicstargeting.com/MarcellusShale/documents/letters/2013/02/...
1. IF YOUR ASSEMBLY REPRESENTATIVE IS A SIGNATORY TO THE LIFTON LETTER, PLEASE WRITE TO THANK THE MEMBER FOR SUPPORTING PUBLIC PARTICIPATION FOR THE DOH REVIEW. See signatories at: http://www.toxicstargeting.com/MarcellusShale/documents/letters/2013/02/...
If YOUR REPRESENTATIVE IS NOT A SIGNATORY, RESPECTFULLY ASK HIM/HER TO SIGN THE LETTER BY CONTACTING MS. LIFTON'S OFFICE.
ASK YOUR REPRESENTATIVE TO MAKE SURE THAT GOVERNOR CUOMO PUTS ON-HOLD: A) THE SECRET DOH REVIEW, B) A FINAL SGEIS AND C) DEC'S REVISED RULEMAKING PROCEEDING UNTIL FULL PUBLIC PARTICIPATION IS REQUIRED FOR THE DOH REVIEW.
See who your Assembly Representative is: http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/
2. Please write and profusely thank Assembly Members Lifton, Lupardo and all the Legislators who attended the news conference and called for public participation for the DOH Review. (See attendees below with *.) Their uncommon political courage and dedication to the public interest is worthy of your highest praise.
Also thank Assembly members Sweeney, Gottfried and Lavine for their powerful DOH Review Public participation letter: http://toxicstargeting.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Assembly-Fracking-jo...
Please make sure to thank Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver for his leadership and the strong stand taken by his House on this issue.
Speaker Sheldon Silver, MOA, 65 AD Speaker@assembly.state.ny.us
*Barbara S. Lifton, MOA, 125 AD LIFTONB@ASSEMBLY.STATE.NY.US
Robert K. Sweeney, MOA, 11 AD SWEENEYR@ASSEMBLY.STATE.NY.US
Richard N. Gottfried, MOA, 75 AD GOTTFRIEDR@ASSEMBLY.STATE.NY.US
Charles D. Lavine, MOA, 13 AD LAVINEC@ASSEMBLY.STATE.NY.US
Donna A. Lupardo, MOA, 123 AD LupardoD@assembly.state.ny.us
*Patricia Fahy, MOA, 109 AD FahyP@assembly.state.ny.us
*Linda B. Rosenthal, MOA, 67 AD RosentL@assembly.state.ny.us
*Michelle Schimel, MOA, 16 AD SchimelM@assembly.state.ny.us
*Daniel J. O'Donnell, MOA, 69 AD OdonnellD@assembly.state.ny.us
*Crystal D. Peoples-Stokes, MOA, 141 AD PeopleC@assembly.state.ny.us
*Brian Kavanagh, MOA, 74 AD KavanaghB@assembly.state.ny.us
*Addie J. Russell, MOA, 116 AD RussellA@assembly.state.ny.us
3. Please thank all the State Senators who signed the Lifton letter, especially Liz Krueger, who attended the news conference. Their support warrants equal gratitude.
If your State Senator is not a signatory, RESPECTFULLY ask him/her to sign the lettter. See signatories at: http://www.toxicstargeting.com/MarcellusShale/documents/letters/2013/02/...
4. Immediately call and email Governor Cuomo. RESPECTFULLY request that he not adopt a DOH Review conducted in secret with zero public input and limited to a Revised Draft SGEIS that has received scathing criticism from tens of thousands of elected officials, physicians, scientists, citizens as well as the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency. Request that he put on-hold the DOH Review, a Final SGEIS and the Revised Rulemaking proposal until full public participation is required for the DOH Review.
Keep Hammering, but always remain civil. Never threaten.
Email Governor Cuomo: http://www.governor.ny.gov/contact/GovernorContactForm.php
Call Governor Cuomo: Albany: 518-474-8390 New York City: 212-681-4580 Binghamton: 607-721-8367
Twitter the Governor: @NYGovCuomo
Facebook him: https://www.facebook.com/GovernorAndrewCuomo?sk=wall
5. Thank your local government officials who signed the coalition letter requesting public participation for the DOH Review, especially Mayor Ryan, a truly exemplary public servant. Ask them to reach out to the Governor AGAIN. See: http://www.toxicstargeting.com/MarcellusShale/cuomo/gov-coalition-letter...